Skip to main content

Hi again...

So here we have one of Da Vinci's drawings, this one often used to exemplify the Golden Ratio (GR), that notion that if the proportion of 1,6 is utilised then at any scale the outcome of a comparative would be proportionate.

The interesting thing is just how often the GR appears in nature, or should I say naturally, its quite amazing, from shells to flowers to the physiology of the human species, all just about perfectly in proportion...my question is, if this perception of balance, of space, of proportion is so definitive, how did it come about? I mean the number 1,6 is hardly a memorable number, and if one goes into the specifics of the GR the number itself becomes even less impressive, for surely as a number it has little redeeming features, but what it represents well now, that's about as special as it gets I just wonder how it got to be 1.6, and if it was a bit more or a bit less would all the things still replicate its altered proportions with the same conviction, would we know any better, would someone actually say " well the Gr is 1.45 but if it was 1,6 it would've been perfect, or would 1,45 be perfect for that standard of comparison?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time for change...

Or should it be change with time? Sometimes I feel we get the two confused... I think we should live true according to our heart's knowledge of what's right, strive to live that way despite the hardship that may at times arise and in that way, as the cliche goes we can be the change we want to see in the world!!! Posted from Blogium for iPhone

Great quote on Affirmative Action in SA

“South Africa is the only country in the world where affirmative action is in the favour of the majority who has complete political control. The fact that the political majority requires affirmative action to protect them against a 9% minority group is testament to a complete failure on their part to build their own wealth making structures, such that their only solution is to take it from others.” London Times

We are warriors, of sorts...

I get that there are 'different' types of Christians in the world, and indeed that it takes all types of people, Christian and otherwise to make the world, I myself don't understand why people put so much effort into trying to convert 'other' religions to their own because I dont think religion (or faith) defines a persons character, or implies some form or depth of integrity... I just don't get it, its not to say I'm right or wrong, but if we focussed more on living better lives, giving more, being more empathetic, more gracious in defeat, more sharing in victory and more loving then I'm convinced that we'll be better people and the world, in some incremental way would be a better place, whatever faith we practice! The piece above, I did purely to convey that at times it takes a bit of delivry to create the best angels...not always, but battles and wars are far from fairytales and love poems...