Skip to main content

Cognisance or conscience….The answer lies with you!!

We talk, we read we hear about global warming and the world going to hell because of us, the supposed custodians, and our insatiable desire for materialism, but you see the truth is much more integral,more complex than that, more entrenched, more sneaky and definitely more about who we have evolved into over the last 50 years or so.
Long gone are the days of societal structure & functioning based on the greater good, the communal core, and maintaining it, where we find meaning from being needed and helping those around us and knowing that should that need exist from your side, that it will be met by those around you, not necessarily friends or family but community members that occupy the spaces (geographical) around you, and yes I’m not saying that wouldn’t happen today, I’m talking about the ‘how’ it would happen today (if indeed it did happen) would be vastly different. Central to that difference would be the reason(s) and implications for helping someone which would probably centre around thoughts of (will ‘I’ be in danger, what will others think of ‘me’, I don’t want to get involved etc.) basically the amount (or to extent) we are willing to step out of our own comfort zone (something which we pride and prize ourselves in creating and maintaining), and the associated (perceived) societal costs  (specifically to us) related thereto.
You see, nowadays the helping and assisting of ‘others’ finds its “raison d’etre” in me, not them that need the help. That selflessness that we read about and see in the movies is all but lost, and in this manner of functioning to which we are slaves you’ll find the reason why the world is lost, and will be consumed by us, untill all life fades, inevitably, if we dont care enough to act to help fellow citizens what chance does the earth stand?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time for change...

Or should it be change with time? Sometimes I feel we get the two confused... I think we should live true according to our heart's knowledge of what's right, strive to live that way despite the hardship that may at times arise and in that way, as the cliche goes we can be the change we want to see in the world!!! Posted from Blogium for iPhone

We are warriors, of sorts...

I get that there are 'different' types of Christians in the world, and indeed that it takes all types of people, Christian and otherwise to make the world, I myself don't understand why people put so much effort into trying to convert 'other' religions to their own because I dont think religion (or faith) defines a persons character, or implies some form or depth of integrity... I just don't get it, its not to say I'm right or wrong, but if we focussed more on living better lives, giving more, being more empathetic, more gracious in defeat, more sharing in victory and more loving then I'm convinced that we'll be better people and the world, in some incremental way would be a better place, whatever faith we practice! The piece above, I did purely to convey that at times it takes a bit of delivry to create the best angels...not always, but battles and wars are far from fairytales and love poems...

Great quote on Affirmative Action in SA

“South Africa is the only country in the world where affirmative action is in the favour of the majority who has complete political control. The fact that the political majority requires affirmative action to protect them against a 9% minority group is testament to a complete failure on their part to build their own wealth making structures, such that their only solution is to take it from others.” London Times